P – S – S
What are you passionate about?
Self Discovery –
How can I be best at my job / passion?
Self Application –
How will I make a difference through doing my job / following my passion?
So you’ve been hearing that voice again, the one that says you’re not doing what you were born to do. That may be true, but how do you figure out what you should be doing? To begin answering this question, examine whether your current career path matches your core interests, beliefs, values, needs and skills. Professional career counsellors usually undertake this strategy when attempting to help individuals identify appropriate career directions.
Here’s what we ask people to help them find their core. Ask yourself these questions, and record your answers:
- What subjects do you most enjoy reading about?
- What television or radio programs do you most enjoy?
- What are your favourite types of movies?
- What are your favourite hobbies or pastimes?
- What type of volunteer activities do you prefer?
- What subjects do you enjoy discussing with friends?
- What subjects come to mind when you daydream?
- What have been your favourite jobs?
- What were your favourite school subjects?
- What are your pet hates?
- If you ran the world, what changes would you make?
- If you won a million bucks, what would you do with it?
- Who are your favourite kinds of people?
- How would you like to be remembered after your death?
- What are your favourite toys?
- How would you describe your political beliefs?
- Who do you most admire in life and why?
- What tasks have brought you the most success?
- What tasks do you think you could do well that you haven’t yet done?
Examine your answers. Do you see a certain behaviour or belief in more than one aspect of your life? What information do you see repeated that seems to reveal a behaviour pattern? What are your long-
Using this information, paint a self-
- I am mainly interested in…
- I believe most in…
- I most value…
- For a good life, I feel I need…
- I can do the following well…
Now ask yourself if your current job helps you achieve these five statements. If it does, you’re probably in the right career. Chances are, however, that the nagging voice means your current career is not satisfying your core features. If this is the case, then it’s time to find a better fit.